Waterproof Eyeliners: Are They Safe for Sensitive Eyes and Which Ones Really Work?


Are you already a waterproof eyeliner addict? Maybe you're just curious. Let me give you the lowdown on my experience with waterproof eyeliners for sensitive eyes:

Recently, I've become somewhat fixated on waterproof eyeliner. With my ever touchy dry sensitive eyes inclined to irritation, it's incredibly important to consider any product I put around my eye zone. Waterproof liners seem well fit my eyes, but before I even started shopping for a waterproof liner, I did some research and tried and tested three.

As always, check with your opthamologist or other professional if you're not sure if you should try waterproof eyeliners (or any eyeliner/mascara/product really)

What I've gathered: the most important thing to look for in a waterproof liner when you have sensitive eyes is the label ophthalmologist tested and approved and as fragrance-free. This is ideal, but if you don't have crazy sensitive eyes, you can be less selective.

The three waterproof eyeliners I tested:

1. Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner


Tarte my favorite brand for makeup in most categories so this waterproof liner was the first I picked up to test. I bought it at Ulta, but you can also find it at Sephora, Nordstrom, ...the usual. This liner didn't move, and it didn't upset my eyes. It fully satisfied its "hypoallergenic" claim. The color is intensely pigmented, and it lasted 12+ hours, perfect.

The eyeliner's ingredients tout micronized Amazonian clay. The perfect waterproof eyeliner, in my opinion. I really don't think it could be better.

The liner has an herbal waterproofing mix that uses plant waxes that shape a layer of coating that keeps the eyeliner safe against rainy days, gym sweat, and any tears from crying.

As well as being dermatologist approved, the eyeliner is free of mineral oil, phthalates, parabens, SLS, and synthetic fragrances.

2. Pixie Endless Silky Eye Pen


You can find Pixie at Target. I'm not familiar with Pixie at all, so this eyeliner pen was the first experience I've had with the brand. I wasn't excessively excited about the outcome though. I found the eyeliner seeping down towards my nose about three hours after application. It's hypoallergenic but why bother with such short staying power?

A few positives: it has Vitamin E in the ingredients. It's also free of parabens, mineral oil, and other irritating additives.

3. Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil


Like the comment I read on Sephora's website before I checked out said: these liners are so velvety! They are! It applied so smoothly and lasted as long as the Tarte liner I mention above. I don't think I could ask for more as far as eyeliner goes. This applied like lotion and didn't disturb my sensitive eyes one bit! In addition to containing Vitamin E, this eyeliner comes in so many colors!!

It also contains NO paraffin and NO mineral.

To conclude:


I would totally recommend the Tarte Amazonian Clay Waterproof Liner and the Urban Decay 24/7 Glide on Eye Pencil. I'm nowhere near finishing either product, but I'll absolutely repurchase when I do finish them.

Skip the Pixie Endless Silky Eye Pen. So disappointing.

Do you like waterproof eyeliner? What are your favorites? I can't wait to try out others, and I want your recommendations :)

Comments